This is one of my husband’s favorite dinners. It’s simple, it’s healthy and it’s delicious. When you’re sick of chicken, tilapia is a nice change of pace. It’s a flaky white fish that is very inexpensive. I use things that I always have my kitchen: garlic, lemon and butter. There’s a reason why this is a classic flavor combination! By adding crushed garlic cloves to your butter, you’re creating a slightly garlicky flavor that won’t overwhelm the fish. You can always play with this recipe by adding in some of your favorite dried herbs, or even some crushed red pepper flakes for some spice!
– 4 tilapia filets
– 4 garlic cloves
– zest of one lemon
– 2 tablespoons butter
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– salt, pepper
1. Pat dry your tilapia filets with paper towels. You want them to be dry when they hit the pan, so that they create a nice crust. Season both sides with salt, pepper and sprinkle with lemon zest.
2. Heat a skillet (I use non-stick) over medium high heat. Add the tablespoon of olive oil and the butter.
3. while your skillet is heating up, smash your garlic cloves. Smash them. Hard. Peel them and throw them into your skillet. As the butter and oil melt, the crushed garlic will flavor it.
4. Once your butter is melted and your garlic is slightly golden, place the seasoned tilapia in the pan. Fish cooks quickly, so keep your eye on it. It should take about 4 minutes on the first side. If the fish doesn’t want to move, don’t flip it yet. The hot pan is creating a golden crust. Once your fish is flipped, cook it for 2-3 minutes on the second side.
5. For an added bit of lemon, squeeze fresh lemon juice on top. Serve hot and enjoy!